Monday, August 14, 2017

Scrap Happy in August

I've sort of been stash busting this year by cutting 3" strips to make truly scrappy Scrappy Trip blocks for Scrap Happy Day hosted by Kate in Australia and Gun in Sweden. This month I made four blocks.


Twenty of these 15" blocks make a nice comfort quilt. With a little stretching I can get a twin size quilt top. I actually have more blocks than I need at this point but I've been having trouble coming up with a setting I'm happy with. I thought the more blocks I had to choose from the easier it would be.


Not so much.

I can't seem to live with complete randomness right now. I have to have some element of organization. To that end I decided to try creating rows that feature a central diagonal line from one color family.


With 2.5" sashes between five rows and a narrow border I'll have a twin size quilt top. And I might be able to use up more of my stash!


Some of the rows work better than others. I may yet try ramming them together and putting on a wider border. (There's always a need for larger quilts for the teens in foster care. Otherwise I would just make a couple of smaller quilts.) I'm not in the best place to make these design decisions at this point. The weather has cooled down a bit and I believe the air is cleaner but I'm still gun-shy about having the windows open and I have too big a headache to think clearly.

I invite you to hop over to Kate's blog for the complete list of those participating in these monthly efforts to put our scraps to good use. There's bound to be something inspiring. :- )


4 comments:

  1. I'm loving how this is looking so far. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the bottom layout best, but I think you're right about not making any lasting decisions while you're feeling below par. It's always fatal! I hope you're soon blessed with cleaner air and a clearer head :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this pattern! I´m also sewing a quilt, but my colors are more light than yours. I´m planning of giving it away as a baby quilt. Just have to add some applikation first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like both ways you've shown here, but I think I'm usually way more okay with random than you are. Good call on holding off on a final decision - you'll be much happier with the outcome if you wait til you're feeling better. (Which I hope is soon!)

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.