Thursday, March 22, 2018

Full Stop

I shouldn't have gloated in my last post. It was so pretty around here yesterday I went out to retrieve our mail, which is stashed in our box in a stand of boxes across the street. There's a pine tree nearby, constantly shedding needles and cones. I'd slipped into my clogs instead of putting on my sneakers. I mean, it's only out and back and out of my shoes again so why lace up?

I bet you can guess where this is going.

The clogs have more of a heel on them than my sneakers. On the way back to the house I was looking through the mail instead of at my feet. I half stepped on a pine cone and lost my balance. As I fell the possibility of broken bones and broken spectacles flashed through my mind. I even heard my glasses hit the asphalt when they bounced off my face. I'm happy to report there are no broken bones and my glasses only suffered minimal damage. (I can't live without my glasses. I could embroider or read for a little while perhaps, but nothing else.) I was fortunate that Hubby was working from home for the day. He was able to bend the frames back into shape for me and tend to the worst of the scrapes. Both palms have road rash. My right knee even got scraped a bit through my jeans - though the jeans don't seem to be damaged somehow. It feels like I have a deep bruise on the top of my left foot. That's what's keeping me from standing and walking unnecessarily. It also feels like I have sprained the base of my right thumb. Pinching my thumb and forefinger together is currently painful. Other body parts ache. So all the progress I was hoping to make over the next few days is not going to happen. And just for the record, I really don't need the headache that's trying to develop.


7 comments:

  1. Oh Sue, sorry to hear about your fall! Best wishes for a speedy recovery from the aches and pains it has caused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sue, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident and that you have continuing pain. I don't know how old you are but I'm at an age where I have to wonder what the next thing will be and try to be very, very careful not to be the cause of it. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! I suppose it could have been worse - as the saying goes. Hopefully all will be quickly back to normal but, meanwhile, it's as good excuse as any to put your feet up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Dear, all those bruises will be coming out by now, and scrapes can be so very sore. Thank goodness your bones survived, and it wasn't like the photo attached, a bad hair day for sure!!! Take care. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how miserable for you! But I'm worried about that injury at the base of your thumb. Did you land on that hand? If so, I'm concerned that you've broken your scaphoid bone, which is one of the little bones at the base of the thumb and a classic 'slip and fall' injury. If it's broken, you'll need a plaster cast, or a hard splint at the very least or it just won't heal. I've broken it in my left hand twice; the first time I ignored it, to my long lasting regret. Bruises go, skin heals, but you don't want a permanent weakness because the bone never mended properly. *Please* have it checked out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ow ow ow! Take it easy and heal fast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO sorry to hear this - but I've done the same kind of thing. Please DO take care of yourself and have that hand checked out ASAP. Scrapes and road rash are one thing but real pain deserves a checkup.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry it's difficult or impossible for some of my readers to leave comments. I do appreciate your visits and the kind comments I receive.